Country Requirements United States of America

Although the move to the USA may seem daunting you can be well assured that we will be there every step of the way to make it a stress free experience. Our well established veterinary collaborations in USA ensure that we can assist you with the most recent information to avoid any unforeseen costs. Combined with our packages that allow you to DIY whichever service you prefer, you can be confident that you get the best value for money with the most knowledgeable team.

First things first

In order to travel with any pet around the world proper identification of the specific pet is needed. A name and photo is not sufficient. Before ANY vaccinations are done or blood is drawn a certified microchip needs to be inserted into the pet. The microchip links a unique identification code to YOUR specific pet and will verify that all necessary treatments have been conducted on your pet. This serves as their “ID”.

The rabies titres test is an important step in the international pet relocation process, and it is crucial that this test is conducted at the exact recommended time by an authorised laboratory. Why do you need a rabies titre test? When your pet received a rabies vaccination, the only proof of this vaccination is the paper immunisation record which the vet completes. Sometimes, there is a need for further proof that the vaccination has been administered, and a titre test is performed to test if your pet has been immunised against rabies.

What happens? After your pet has received his/her microchip blood can be drawn by your vet and this is then sent to an authorised laboratory. At the laboratory the blood is tested for the presence of the antibody that neutralises rabies in your pet’s blood. The presence of this antibody in sufficient amounts proofs that the pet has been sufficiently vaccinated against and is immune to rabies. This amount is then reflected on the rabies titre test certificate that you will receive to use as proof for the process of travelling with your pet.

USA Specific

Although not every state requires your pet to be microchipped we recommend this for every pet for safety reasons. This needs to be implanted before any treatment is performed. Please note: The states that require a microchip will accept an ISO or AVID microchip. The microchip must be implanted. Vaccinations and the rabies titre test can now follow. As veterinarians ourselves you are in the best hands and you will need 4 or five visits and we will provide discount.

  1. The only vaccine needed for entry into the USA is a rabies vaccine that is older than 21 days.
  2. Cleared by a vet for screw worm.
  3. 5-in-1 (Canine distemper virus, canine infectious hepatitis, canine adenovirus, canine parainfluenza virus and canine parvovirus) We always recommend that these are up to date for the safety of your own pet.
  4. Bordetella bronchiseptica

Puppies and kittens must have their own rabies vaccination at the age of 12 weeks and may only travel 30 days after this vaccine at the age of 16 weeks.

Dogs must also undergo a veterinary examination for the presence of screw worm in the specified time before departure.


A veterinary health certificate will be needed and a state vet endorsement.

Pre-Export Preparation Summary
  • Microchip (certain states).
  • Up to date vaccination booklet (5-in-1 dogs, 3-in-1 cats, rabies for cats and dogs) – our recommendations.


As long as they have a valid rabies vaccine the USA does not require a quarantine period.

If you should enter Hawaii or Guam there will be a quarantine period.